Fruity Roasted Chicken
- 1 cup freshly cubed pineapple
- 1 cup freshly cubed mango
- 1 cup freshly cubed melon
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 3-pound chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine pineapple, mango, melon, cumin, garlic, onion and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Fill cavity of bird with fruit mix; reserve the remainder. Plump the chicken together so the legs and wings are set back toward the bird; tie the legs together. Season with salt and pepper. Rub with olive oil.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan and set in the oven, then lower the heat to 350°F. Roast for 20 minutes, then add the reserved fruit to the pan. Continue roasting for another 30 minutes. Test with a skewer for doneness; juices should run clear.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Allen Susser.